In every indoor bathroom I've been in, it's been an interesting experience. The pipes conduct every sound from the other bathrooms and somehow every other room in the building also. I've heard everything you can imagine. The most common sounds include crying babies, screaming mothers, and sex noises. The first two I completely understand. But really, sex noises? I mean, any hour you go in there you hear people somewhere getting it on. And don't think me so naive. The grunting and shouting from people going to the toilet are completely distinguishable.
When I first arrived in Kazakhstan I was one of the lucky few volunteers who had an indoor toilet and not an outhouse. Well, lucky is a relative term. Not only did I hear more than I cared to, but it seemed that the toilets in that building were always being used. It was until after the fourth or fifth time I got dripped on did I realize that it was not a water pipe dripping on me but the refuse pipe carrying crap into the sewage system. One could argue that Kazakhstan has been shitting on me since I've gotten here, it's just gotten less literal.
No comments:
Post a Comment